Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Mountain Climbing

"I lift up my eyes to the hills . . ."

Tall, rugged, steep hills. Hard to climb. How will I ever get to the top, or over it to the other side? I can't do it. Especially at this altitude, with the thinner air. I have no experience with ropes and rock climbing. I just can't do it on my own.

"Where does my help come from?"

Maybe I need to do some research--read a book, go online, even take a course: Hill Climbing 101. It's kind of hard to learn something like that out of a book, though; hands-on experience is best. I could hire a guide or go on one of those "adventure" vacations. Those are expensive. And what if the mountain we climb is nothing like the one I need to get over? I need someone with the knowledge and experience to get over this mountain.

"My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth."

Well, God knows this mountain. He knows every rock and contour of its face. He knows how many leaves or needles are on every tree. Better than that, He knows the strength of each ledge, and whether it can bear my weight. He knows the length of my fingers and the capacity of my lungs; He knows which route up the hill is right for me. He knows where the hidden springs are to quench my thirst. The lair of the cougar and bear are not hidden from Him, so He can show me safe passage. And He knows what's on the other side.


Oh, God, I am intimidated and apprehensive about this mountain. Help me not to detour around it and take the easier way. Help me not to just set up camp here in the valley and miss any of what You have for me. It is going to take some time, and there will be bruises and blisters. When I am tired and sore, remind me to enjoy the view and take note of how far I've come. Sustain me through the times when it gets monotonous and I feel like I'm not making any progress. Remind me to rest from time to time, and to trust in Your schedule.

You have made this mountain. If this is where You are leading me, then there is no place else I'd rather be.

No comments: