Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Great is Thy . . . Mirthfulness?

While praying this morning, my husband got a little tongue-tied (as sometimes happens in the early morning), and thanked the Lord for His "merthy" instead of mercy. My mind immediately thought, "Oh, yes, Lord - I would love to share mirth with You today!"

As I imagined Jesus and I sharing a chuckle over something silly, my heart truly longed for that. The kind of relationship we have with good friends that is easy and comfortable and pleasant. I reflected that those moments are possible because of the depth of the underlying relationship. We cannot be light and easy if things are difficult. A married couple with a troubled relationship has few instances of play and laughter. If there is a history of disloyalty, betrayal, constant criticism, infidelity or even abuse, those things weigh down a relationship, and there are very few opportunities for giggles.

In thinking those thoughts (in a flash--much faster than it takes to write them down), it came to me that God has taken care of all the big heavy things in our relationship. The betrayal and unfaithfulness are all on my side, as well as my indifference and neglect toward Him. Yet He has covered all that--no, He has removed it all with the blood of His Son, so that our friendship has a clean slate. He doesn't remember each slight I have shown Him, every time I chose lesser things over Him, or even the willful wickedness of my dark and depraved heart. The Bible says He delights in me. That brings images of laughter and smiles and "inside jokes" and easiness in each other's presence.

I remember times when my Father and I shared a good laugh over something, or when I would "catch His eye" over private thoughts that only He knew, but understood perfectly. I wish I had those times more often, and I can, if I pursue a genuine relationship that doesn't allow sin and neglect to weigh it down.

The joy of the Gospel is that God took care of all the Big Things--salvation, redemption, justification, sanctification, etc.--so that I can share a chuckle and a cup of tea with Him. The deep things of God lay the foundation for those light moments when He and I can just enjoy one another's presence. And when that's good, frankly, there's no one's company I prefer to keep.

No comments: